Saturday 11 February 2012

I Just Want Your Extra Time...


I was 18 years old, sat on a sofa, glass of wine on the table. Nobody else mattered. The only sound I could hear was my own heart beating, and my surroundings completely forgotten. My eyes were closed and the hairs on the back of my neck were standing on end, yet I felt nothing but warmth.

As I opened my eyes, I found myself staring into a deep blue ocean. It was the most beautiful ocean Id ever dipped into, and I didn’t want to get out.  I felt a closeness that filled my soul with contentedness and happiness. It was an ethereal moment thats a rare occurrence in my life.

I closed my eyes again, took a deep breath in through my nose, and pulled Mr. M.N. closer. Even though my eyes were shut, I could feel him smiling. I reciprocated, which led us to both let out a little giggle. But we didn’t speak a word. Our lips were locked - soft, gentle and, for that moment, full of love.  

I haven’t been kissed like that since.

More or less ten years on, Im left wondering if that kiss was a one off. Ive come close to it once or twice, but neither of those were as all-consuming as that kiss with Mr. M.N. Perhaps its something were supposed to have grown out of? Most of us are now in such a hurry to get to the main event, we ignore how close kissing can bring two people.

Unlike sex, youre not concentrating on having an orgasm. Youre always in each others eye-line when you kiss, and eyes are supposedly the window to the soul

Whilst sex should probably be more intimate, in my experience, that intimacy has largely been lost. Through the entertainment industry, its almost as though weve become desensitized to sex. Its now become a functional act, often requiring little emotional investment.

Maslows Hierarchy of Needs would support this statement sex appears at the foundation of the pyramid, classed as a Physiological need, its the first of five types of need, according to Maslow, that humans require to reach self-actualisation. However, kissing comes under Love and Belonging, which is the third step on the pyramid. Ok, its labeled as sexual intimacy, but I really do believe kissing is incredibly intimate.

Theres something about a kiss that tells you so much about the other person. Its passion beyond animalistic urges. Its affection packaged in the most beautiful way. Its innocence and care all rolled into one.

But kissing isn’t just foreplay, its a standalone intimacy and no two kisses are ever the same. There are varying levels of intensity and different kinds of emotions tied to it. Theres a strong feeling of great affection when I share a lingering kiss with someone, and once I start, I find it very difficult to stop.

I recently hooked up with an ex and, before getting up to leave, we had a kissing session. I felt so close to him, like I could snuggle in close and nothing would harm me. It gave me butterflies in my tummy, and during that time we spent kissing, I felt so content. When I left, I couldn’t stop thinking about that kiss. It had been the most caring kiss Id had in a long time and I felt disheartened that I probably wouldn’t enjoy that feeling again for some time

When a kiss can connect two people in a way sometimes sex can’t, I wonder why its so often overlooked. Perhaps I haven’t met many men I feel comfortable being so affectionate with. Maybe they have no desire to share that level of affection with me. Whatever it is, Im making a conscious effort to spend some extra time and... Kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment