Friday 28 August 2009

2010 - The year of The Wedding

I'm reaching that point in my life where fewer of my friends will be ticking the 'single' box on an application form when there's an enquiry about their single status. As each month passes by, another one of my friends becomes engaged...

It's become so ridiculous, that I even received a dual congratulatory email notice from my boss for two of my colleagues' (separate) engagements. It'd had only been two weeks since the last congratulatory engagement email. And there was another one a few weeks prior to that. There's only 23 of us in the bloody office, and that's including the ones who are married anyway!

I already have three weddings to attend in 2010 (and quite possibly one more if another of my friends say yes to their imminent proposal), and that's not including attending those of my colleagues. It looks like it might actually get to the point where I won't have time to sort out my own love life because I'll be off celebrating another couple's love for each other every weekend of the year. That'd be tragic. Although they do say it's the most likely place to meet your future spouse... Must be the romantic light we all see each other in.

Most magazines would cruelly point out that I'm jealous of my friends' blissful relationships, but they're wrong. I'm more concerned about how we'll maintain our friendships. It might be fine for a year or so after the wedding, but then you get the "I'm pregnant" announcement, which obviously means no boozy nights out as she can't drink and he's working all hours under the sun to prepare for the little one's arrival. Then along comes baby and it's all breast feeding and nappies. Don't get me wrong, I love kids and I don't mind hearing about their first step/word/poo but can we not do it over cocktails in a swish bar occasionally?

Is that selfish? I understand a husband/wife/child is a huge commitment and, ultimately, that's my aim too... one day. But I vow not to let my friendships slip away. After all, I'd appreciate my friends for still being my friends after nine months of being a bore. I'd also appreciate that just because I'm married or had a child, our friendship does not revolve around that and the occasional girls night out will still be needed, even if my arse does wobble.

Truth is, I'm worried I'm going to be left behind. A mere distant memory of the 'good old single days'... There will be no more dancing like a loon until 3am because she's too worried everyone can see she's carrying a little baby weight and has been too busy to hit the gym. There will be no dinner parties because they can't find someone to babysit, and they can't host because their living room is full of toys, not to mention a screaming, attention-seeking  child. 

So, may my days be full of baby gossip, child entertaining and warmth, whilst my nights are cold and lonely watching Sex and the City, longing for what might have been if we were all still single.


No comments:

Post a Comment