Thursday 13 August 2009

Waiting for a bus out of Singledom

Men are like buses… you wait around for one for ages and then three come along at the same time. Question is; which one will I ride? What’s the final destination? What happens if I get the wrong bus? How will I know I’ve taken the wrong bus until it’s off course and then it’s too late to change? Is it all about the destination or is it the journey that matters most?

Right now I’m bus-hopping, not quite sure upon which bus I should embark before they pull out of the station. There are delays and sometimes I wonder if the drivers want to switch destinations or, worst of all, create diversions. Or will they just shut the doors and drive on?Such has been my musings of late.

I feel like I’ve been in a waiting room for eternity. I was hoping for a clincher with Mr. A.P the other night, but he didn’t come out with us in the end. Neither did K. And S is still away, prolonging my suspense. So, instead, I drank myself into oblivion. Free drinks really don’t help my situation and I ended up in a karaoke bar, sans mon amies, being possessive over the microphone and puking on my own feet because I missed the target of the toilet basin. Hardly the girl Mr. A.P, K or S would want to be seen with!

Not knowing when to stop, I ended up meeting an old school friend for a drink at the other end of town. Not any drink though. Nope, that’d be silly. I went in all guns blazing and ordered a tiki puka puka. For those of you reading this outside of Dubai, a tiki puka puka is one of the drinks you only order when you want to be found in a pool of your own sick. Unfortunately, I wasn’t found…

I wish I hadn’t drank so much, I’d quite have liked to have had a proper catch up with my old school friend rather than overwhelm her with drunken ramblings! Poor lass. It was still great to see her though. It’s always nice to see someone you haven’t seen for so many years, to see the direction they’ve taken in life even though they pretty much started at the same point as you.

Anyway, after a night of drunken rampaging, I was woken up at 8.45am by my colleague waiting to pick me up to go to work. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!! Pyjamas off, work clothes on, brush teeth and out the door. Luckily, my friend drove so I could put on some make-up in the car but I was so hungover, my face was a blur. I definitely didn’t look my best. Or smell it.

I always thought it took litres of water, a fry-up and some panadol to cure a hangover, but do you know what cures it best of all? A text from a guy you’re lusting after. Mr. A.P sent me a message in the morning and it totally perked me up. In fact he text me a few times, and a couple of them even included a kiss at the end! Not sure why the letter x at an end of a text really makes all the difference, but oddly it does. I mean, is that like a peck-on-the-cheek x or is a grab-me-and-kiss-me-passionately x? I’m hoping the latter!

But still, with all this stuff with Mr. A.P going on, I’m waiting for S. He’s finally confirmed when he’s coming back and when we can hang out, but the only thing is it’s during Ramadan. I’m no devout Muslim, not by a long shot, but if I say I’m going to do something, I like to stick to it. It’s all about willpower for me and pushing myself that little bit further. And yes, even if that means abstaining for a month from both alcohol and sex.

I think I might buckle. I’ve been waiting for so long that I don’t think I can possibly hold out for another month. In fact thinking about another week is tough enough. I’ve been listening to Paula Cole’s Feelin’ Love on repeat, which probably hasn’t helped my desires, and I’m not a big believer in suppressing feelings. In fact the only feeling I suppress is anger, but I’m not sure I even suppress that. I guess I’m just not an angry person.

So, I have a whole week to continue fantasizing about what will happen with S and, yes, I will let my imagination get carried away. I’ve always been a dreamer, my parents told me that so many times, and they’re totally right. So why change old habits? In terms of reality, I’m hoping to see Mr. A.P tonight and for something to progress there. Something happen!! Please!!

No comments:

Post a Comment